(Confession: I have nary a clue as to the correct usage of the words “Ye Olde”.)
I am a book harlot. I eat books. I must have a book or there might be some hyperventilating going on. If there is nothing new to read I end up reading Twilight for the 18th time. So, new books floating through our home is a common occurrence.
A few months ago, I began to read a series called Percy Jackson and the Olympians. They are awesome. Why? Let me break it down.
1. For YA lit, these are very very enjoyable. I am an adult, yes I am, and I loved them. I laughed. I cried. I wished I was a demigod.
2. They are exciting. Rick Riordan, the author, did an excellent job of making each book of the series of five better than the last, culminating in an amazing ending.
3. These are books based on Greek Mythology, which I must admit I was pretty clueless about. The only things I really knew about Greek Mythology came from the movies Clash of the Titans and Hercules. So I learned a lot. I dare say you will too.
4. Kids with issues like ADHD and dyslexia will find characters dealing with these too.
5. And then there’s the stuff that make YA lit so fun: humor, friendship, love, searching for identity and purpose. All that good stuff.
So, if you’re hankering for something good to read, check out Percy Jackson and the Olympians. You won’t be disappointed.