1. Spend your time at work blogging and/or facebooking. Because really, who can think of work when you’re planning a vacation? It’s much better to let work stack up to overwhelming heights for your return.
2. Write a list of what you’ll need and then don’t go by it. Because really, who needs to remember underwear? That’s what Walmart is for. Plus, it’s in Florida so it feels Exotic.
3. Do laundry several days in a row in order to get the “good” clothes in your suitcase and then wear “good” clothes instead of packing them. Because really, who doesn’t want to stay up until midnight doing their laundry the night before they leave? You can always sleep in the car.
4. Decide to save your bonus check for your vacation and instead spend it on new clothes and way too expensive but just too darn cute to pass up flip flops. Because really, what are you planning to buy in Florida? You’ll be poor but at least you’ll feel cute.
5. Get a hair cut precisely two days before leaving so you will have no idea how to fix your newly shorn hair. Because really, who doesn’t like new hair adventure? And you’re always behind the camera anyways.
6. Line up all your luggage by the door the night before and when you leave, forget your toiletries bag. Because really, who doesn’t want to shop at an expensive Florida grocery store for all new toiletries? (True story, that.)
7. When traveling with kids, buy them new activities to occupy them during the car ride then give said new activities to them three days earlier. Because really, who doesn’t want bored children for a 12 hour car ride? That’s what Benedryl is for. (I jest, people.)
8. Buy a fish for your daughter’s birthday and then leave on a 5 day trip, leaving Darby behind. Because really, don’t children need to learn about death? Fish die, it’s a fact of life.
9. Have intentions of charging phone and camera but don’t, and leave the chargers behind. Because really, what would you use your phone and camera for anyways? I like to live dangerously.
10. When driving a 12 hour trip, plan to bring maps and/or a GPS but forget to do so. Because really, who gets lost on a 12 hour trip? (Erm, that might be a true story, too.)
I’m off for the sunny and humid skies of Florida to see my family. See you on Monday!!!